Until July 2017, documenting the seasons of coastal Dorset. I'm a complete amateur so don't trust I'm always right. If ever you see I'm wrong - whether with identifications or in anything else - do say! Meanwhile . . . I've now moved to Halifax in West Yorkshire. Click on the link below to collect the new URL. Don't forget to follow there!

Monday 1 June 2015

THE FIRST OF JOLLY OLD JUNE

White, umbelelliferous flower showing stamens. Clickable.
We're waiting for a storm.
The weatherman this morning told those going to work in sunshine they'd be returning in wind and rain. We're anticipating winds of fifty-one-miles-an-hour. That may not seem very fast for readers in less temperate climes; but for us round here it's strong. (Especially if you are by waves or under a tree which could fall over.)

Bent poppy head with grass and other hedgerow plants.
I've been rumbling around in a bad mood all day. I blame it on the weather. There's something about anticipating a storm that puts one on edge.

And I've been rumbling in and out of the house; going to look every now and then to see what's happening and thinking 'I'm sure June isn't always like this'.

And it isn't. I began Loose and Leafy in 2008 so I've lots of recorded Junes to check on - and nearly all began with pretty flowers and blue skies.

But even if the theoretically first day of summer has nothing summery about it, there are still interesting things to mention.

Flower photography outdoors can be challenging. A day might seem completely draught free but individual plants waggle around as if engaged in their own private hurricane and the pictures come out blurred. But see the photos above. Why did these plants stand perfectly still today when everything else was thrashing?

And the trees have been interesting too.

Here's an ash tree. It's mid-morning; the wind is on the rise but you'd hardly know it by the way the birds are singing. Not that they are in the tree. They are in bushes near by. Do birds not like ash trees?


The ash is at the foot of a bank so it's in a fairly sheltered spot  . . .but even those birds exposed to the wind by the sea were determined to sing. This robin on a buddleia bush kept going even when it was blown right off its twig.


Back to the ash. By afternoon the wind is reaching even into sheltered places.


It's raining now and the light is skiving off early. Will I go out at mid-night to photograph silhouettes of fifty-mile-an-hour trees? I doubt it! (If I do, I'll let you know.)

P.S. Don't forget the Tree Following Box opens on Sunday 7th.

The photos and videos in this post were all taken  on 1st June 2015.

9 comments:

Rowan said...

We have wind and heavy rain up here in the north too - it's been more like late October than June. I feel so sorry for the birds who are rearing young, life must be miserable for them at the moment and it must take a toll of the babies.
I do know what you mean about photographing flowers - a little waft of air always seems to disturb them just as I'm about to take the photo!

Sandie said...

Lovely to hear the birds singing Lucy. It certainly is unpredictable weather. Friday rain and dull, Saturday brightening and warm, then yesterday dull and drizzly. No wonder I never know what to wear! I have missed the past 2 months posts because of a road trip and catching up on return but I did take photos in between of my trees and will be posting eventually.

Anonymous said...

As always an enjoyable, and interesting, post. Flighty xx

Dartford Warbler said...

A stormy night here in the New Forest and it was so cold last night.
Like you, I fear for newly hatched birds and young animals.

Gary said...

We got hit by the winds last night, amazed that garden looks ok today.

liz said...

Hi Lucy, Here in Kentucky we've started June with temps in the mid-50sF. Most un-June-like. After an unseasonably dry and hot May, we had much needed rain yesterday. Weird weather. One of my dogs gets very jittery when storms loom and he trails me around. I hope your winds calm.

Anonymous said...

Unless I slept through it, the expected storm seems to have missed out South Wales. Although there were a few fallen twigs around.
We have ashes in the garden, although they are rapidly being swamped by young sycamores. It's lucky ashes are so flexible in high winds.
Loved the robin falling off its perch - that one should go viral.
All the best :)

Anonymous said...

It has been pretty wild here in North Bucks too. That poor robin!

Alison Levey said...

It's been blowing half a gale here over the last few days, I'm hoping my quinces cling on!