Until July 2017, documenting the seasons of coastal Dorset. I'm a complete amateur so don't trust I'm always right. If ever you see I'm wrong - whether with identifications or in anything else - do say! Meanwhile . . . I've now moved to Halifax in West Yorkshire. Click on the link below to collect the new URL. Don't forget to follow there!

Friday 18 July 2008

THINKING OF SUNSHINE


This is a post left over from when Loose and Leafy was a work of fiction. Later, it evolved into what it is now - a blog about the wild plants of the South Dorset Coast.

To make sense (in so far as there is sense) of these early posts, you may like to take a look at Esther in the Garden.

* * *
She's only just arrived and, already, I'm feeling like Mrs Joe Gargery.

I find myself saying that I needn't have 'taken her in', that if she doesn't like the food I provide she can look elsewhere, or perhaps she would prefer to live with Mrs Rustbridger? That kind of
thing.

I'm in touch with my dour side. Suddenly I enjoy work more than homelife.

Ceres says she goes to a 'special' school and that a bus will come tomorrow morning to take her there but tomorrow is the last day of term so, after that, I'll be completely responsible.

I lay awake last night waiting for a knock on the door; for the police, social services, the council, Mrs Rustbridger.

Ceres says the woman who came for her and her siblings is called Miss Martin. The name rings a bell.

I've been creeping into Esther's garden and thinking of sunshine.


4 comments:

Ron Eklof said...

You seem to be on the horns of something. Don't know Mrs Joe Gargery, but I'm sure she is a pleasant person. And thank you for referring to Esther's postcard. I sure wish I could use my washing machine to contact another world. Then again...

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Mrs Joe Gargery is the very unpleasant older sister of Pip in 'Great Expectations'; a harsh and bitter woman who resentfully takes the place of their mother when she dies.

While she takes pride in telling everyone she has 'brought him up by hand' - she shows him no love and beats him whenever she finds cause or excuse.

Her husband, Joe, in contrast is slow witted but extraordinarily kind and gentle. Without Joe, life for Pip would have been unbearable. It was pretty bad, even so.

Lucy

Nancy said...

I remember Joe Gargery fondly. One of the few people in the book that gave Pip some love and kindness without wanting something in return.

I believe Mrs Gargery brought Joe "up by hand" a few times as well.

Take a deep breath and enjoy Esther's garden, I don't believe you'll be anything like Mrs. Gargery. You are a much happier person, even if you are under a little stress now and again....

garden girl said...

Lucy, you have my empathy. Children are a handful under the best of circumstances. I can only imagine how troubled these particular children must be and how that might be reflected in their behavior considering their circumstances.

Thank you for the link to Esther's postcard. It's good to know she's ok.