Until July 2017, documenting the seasons of coastal Dorset. I'm a complete amateur so don't trust I'm always right. If ever you see I'm wrong - whether with identifications or in anything else - do say! Meanwhile . . . I've now moved to Halifax in West Yorkshire. Click on the link below to collect the new URL. Don't forget to follow there!

Tuesday 3 January 2012

PRICKLES AND THORNS

When the weather grows cold and blustery, it’s tempting to look for signs of new growth but do that too much and one misses the season. In January, there’s more dead on show than usual; prickles show clear and thorns are beautifully exposed.


Gorse flowers all year round but in January, when there is less colour than in  other months, the flowers are specially prominent in the dull light.


January is a month when it's easy to see where blackthorn gets its name. Come spring, white blossom will draw the eye and in the summer these long spikes will be hidden in dense foliage.


For most of the year, blackberries mean fruit at some stage but January is a 'look at those thorns!' time.


Buddleia is an exception to this general 'now-ness'. Last years dead blossoms remind us of the year passed.

Hurray for January!

Have a Very Happy

2012

!

6 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Lucy wishing you a Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Lucy!

Sometimes, one forgets that Sloes are grown on Blackthorn and ends up with blood on one's hand. At lease that is what this one did last year...

Lea's Menagerie said...

Well I never thought of photographing thorns, but they are very interesting! Thanks for inspiring me to go look at my thorns!
Happy New Year!
Lea

Leeds daily photo said...

Where I grew up in rural Oxfordshire Blackthorn was pretty common in hedges. You would have to be pretty determined to get through a hedge with blackthorn in it.
I just said it in Milk Bottle blog, but I wish you All the Best for 2012.

Rowan said...

You are so right about seeing what is there in January rather than looking for signs of things to come - I must admit that that I DO look for leaf buds and new growth but I enjoy what January has to offer as well.

Sujomi said...

It is much easier to see those thorns without the leaves. Happy New Year Lucy!