Until July 2017, documenting the seasons of coastal Dorset. I'm a complete amateur so don't trust I'm always right. If ever you see I'm wrong - whether with identifications or in anything else - do say! Meanwhile . . . I've now moved to Halifax in West Yorkshire. Click on the link below to collect the new URL. Don't forget to follow there!

Friday 23 December 2011

LOOKING UP FOR A BIT

As I write - it's mid-morning and getting darker as the rain grows heavy.

Walks have to be snatched when it's neither uncomfortably windy nor wet. Such moments of ordinary sun and still air are treasurable - even to someone like me who likes wild and windy weather.

In such a moments, the sky can be surprisingly blue . . .

beyond the ever flowering gorse


and through the lattice of elder hedge.


The upper branches are bare but, lower down


leaf buds are not only forming above the ever pleasing lichen


but breaking open.

And Old Man's Beard


grows thinner scraggier and more beardy and old as the weeks pass.

8 comments:

Rowan said...

I noticed the elder putting out tiny new leaves earlier this week as well - it's unseasonably mild here but there's a lot of the winter to go yet so I think these little leaves may not make it through to Spring. It's dark and wet here today but I don't have to go anywhere so that's OK - DH does afternoon dog walking:)

Sue Catmint said...

love the closeup of the buds and the lichen. Something about buds - represent continuity, resilience - very heartwarming.

Mark Willis said...

Where did you get all that blue sky from, and can I have some please? I hate the short grey Winter days.

Cindy said...

Love the lattice photo, very pretty with the blue sky in the background.

Anonymous said...

Even more springtime hope there Lucy. The Lichen is so pretty and it is lovely to see the Elderflower shoots.

Diana Studer said...

Very attached to the lichen on our ash trees. Revel in both the colour and the intricate texture. Take your Christmas kindly (to yourself especially) and enjoy it.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

That lichen is gorgeous and trees budding my goodness. We finally have a bit of snow. Lucy wishing you Peace and Joy for the Holiday!

Anna said...

We had a blue sky like that on Thursday morning Lucy and almost a taste of spring along with it. Wishing you peace and joy at Christmas and throughout the New Year xxx